The guesthouse “Sakaya Hanjiro” is located in the Hiura area of Tenkawa village along “Suzukake road” (The Koya-Omine road). “Suzukake road” (The Koya-Omine road) is a road that connects the two sacred sites of the Shingon Buddhism sanctuary “Mt.Koya and the sacred place of mountain religion "Mt.Omine.Pilgrims traveled around 1950 (S 25), and the village along the highway was dotted with lodgings and teahouses. “Suzukake road” (The Koya-Omine road) is known as a pilgrimage road for religious monks and pilgrims to visit from ancient times. When it was thriving, there were 500 pilgrims staying in a single post. Along the way, there are “Kōbō Daishi traditions” such as Tenkawa Shrine, Tochio Kannon-do (Enkubutsu), Shiraidani cave temple, Kagamiiwa, as well as Jizo and signposts that lead travelers.

A record of the young days of Kobo Daishi Kukai

The “Henjyo hokki Shoryosyu” is a collection of records from the words of Kobo Daishi Kukai, and consists of 10 volumes. The exact date of establishment is unknown, but it is thought that it was established in the age close to 835, when Kukai died.

“Kukai preferred to walk across the mountain as a boy's day. One day to go south from Yoshino, two days to leave to the west, there was a spiritual land on the plain, and the name is Koya.”

“Kukai preferred to walk across the mountain as a boy's day. One day to go south from Yoshino, two days to leave to the west, there was a spiritual land on the plain, and the name is Koya.”


Tenkawa Shrine

About 10 minutes on foot

Prince Ohama, who was beaten in the succession of the throne, visited Yoshino, the home of the gods guarding the Yamato Imperial Court, and prayed to God for his victory and played a stringed instrument. Then the goddess appeared on the sound and showed the blessing of victory. This goddess was the “Misen Okami” who was said to have been enshrined on the summit of the mountain by En'nogyōja. The prince, who gained power from this cheerful, won the “JinShin Rebellion” and took the throne to become “Emperor Tenmu”. Later, in order to thank the goddess for protection, the Emperor built a Shrine at the foot of the mountain and became the “Shrine of Ameno Yaskawa”. I tell you that this is the beginning of Tenkawa Shrine.

"The area around Tenkawa Shrine has a description of ""Shiseki Sansui Yatsu no Mori"" in 1791 geographies (such as ""Yamato Meisyo Zue""). Shiseki(four stones) means the Ramudaishi (known as Mushiroiwa) in the Tennokawa river in front of the Minami Hiura Yasaka Shrine, the cobblestone at the entrance to Tsubonouchi, the Inoko stone in front of the Gosho no Bou, and The Lion nasal stone at the area where the Tsubonouchi Valley and Tennokawa river confluenced. Sansui (This is Three wells) is Uenoi, Nakanoi, and Oi. Yatsu no Mori (eight Shrine woods) are Biwa Mountain, where Benzaiten is enshrined, Igashira, Funaoka, Takakura, Takioka, Daikoku, Yasaka and Taniguchi Shrine."

Raikoin Temple

About 10 minutes on foot

"Raikoin is one of the seven temples that form the Tenkawa Shrine. Originally, Raikoin was located on the “Oku Imperial Palace”(The rear palace) on the east side ofTenkawa Shrine. It is said that it was a Imperial Palace of the Southern Dynasty. After being burned down by a large fire, it was rebuilt in its current location.

In the hall, there is a Buddha statue of Senju Kannon (Muromachi period) and Dainichi Nyorai. In addition, the statue of Fudo Myooh, and Two children's statues which is said to be a late Heian period, is also enshrined.

The ginkgo tree in the precinct is 6.9m around the trunk and 35m high, and is said to be hand-planted by Kobo Daishi. From the middle of the trunk, “Chi-chi”, the proof of an old tree, hangs down. The stone monument that stands beside the precincts is called the “Ajikan monument”. “A”, a word representing the essence of Shingon esoteric Buddhism, carved while Kobo Daishi Kukai was practicing at this Tenkawa Shrine.

It is engraved with 23 letters of Komyo Shingon, centered around the Bon character (Sanskrit ""a""). This represents the universe, the source of everything."

Yasaka Shrine

About 5 minutes on foot

Yasaka Shrine is dedicated to two Gozu Tenno, known as the gods of Yasaka Shrine in Kyoto.

One statue is a kneeling cow, and it lacks the head of the cow thought to have been on the top, but it is a statue that straddles a three-faces, six-armed, six-legged. The height is 34.7cm and the material is cypress. It is an expression of anger with the burning hair upside down, wide open eyes and wide mouth, but the expression is mild, generally carved shallow, and seems to be a late Heian period work. The other is a three-faces, six-armed sitting with the head of a cow on the top. The features of the late Heian period are seen in the plump body and slight left the expression on the right sleeve. The height is 17.2 cm and it is cypress wood.

Gozu Tenno was originally a guardian deity of “Gion Syoja” in India. It entered China and was mixed with “Yin-Yang”, creating a spell that eliminates trouble. In Japan, it is mixed with Shinto and is identified as "Susanoh no Mikoto".

Daisyogun Shrine

About 10 minutes on foot

In the Goshiki district along the Tennokawa river, the DaiShogun Shrine is enshrined.DaiShogun is a god who controls the direction of “Taihakusei” (Venus) in the “Yin Yang”. It is an important place to protect the northeast of Tenkawa Shrine.

In addition, it is said that in the past, there was no residence other than a shrine in the Tsubonouchi area where the Tenkawa Shrine was located, and it is said that those who served the shrine commute from the surrounding Hiura and Goshiki districts.

Tennokawa Hot spring

About 15 minutes on foot

The Tennokawa Onsen, which is close to the Tenkawa Shrine, uses the Koya umbrella pine for the bathtub and Yoshino cedar, cypress, pine, and maple for the building. In addition, this hot spring uses a firewood boiler that uses thinned wood as fuel. This is an onsen that is particular environment-friendly for the “ tree”.

Mitarai Valley

About 15 minutes by car

“Mitarai” is also written as “Place to wash hands” and “Three tubs”, and is a place where the sad history of the southern dynasty is hidden. It is said that the children of the southern dynasty who had fled from the chasers of the northern dynasty accidentally fallen into the river and died at “Hikari no Taki” (upper part) and “Ao Don Pass”. Now it has several suspension bridges and is a place to enjoy the beauty of autumn leaves and the valley.

Dorogawa Ryusenji

About 25 minutes by car

Ryusenji temple is one of guardian temple of the Omine sanji temple in the Shingon sect Daigo party headquarters. When "En no Gyoja" who opend Ominesan mountain as the sacred place for the asetic training in Hakuho period, went down to a place by Dorogawa in the foot of the Ominesan mountain from his own training. He found the fountain well springs up from the cave, and enshrined "Eight dragon kings" in and edge of the spring. He trained himself by the water training in the spring and since then it is said to be the beginning of the Ryusenji temple. The name of Ryusenji derieved from the spring which dragon king lived at the entrance of the cave. It's a gentle pond in now, but you're telling that those days was deep and was a clear spring in blue so that the bottom wasn't also seen.

Later, it was revived by the "Shobo Rigen Daishi" made the origin of the restoration of mountaineering asceticism and was the holy ground where many monks were training. Most in a building in a precinct was burned away by a conflagration in a Dorogawa area in 1946, but a temple were revived in 1960, and on July 10 of the same year, the Ryusenji temple precinct where used to ladies couldn't enter and was opened freely in the same year.

En no Gyoja, Shobo Rigen Daishi, Kobodaishi and Fudo Myo o are deified including Maitreya-bodhisattva of a principal image in a main hall.

Tochio Kannon-do

About 15 minutes by car

In Tochio Kannon-do, the statue of Holy Kannon, the statue of Daibenzaiten Tenyo, the statue of Kongo Doji, and the statue of Goho Have been cherished for 300 years.

These are the works of Buddhist sculptor Enku. Enku was born near Hashima City, Gifu Prefecture in 1632, in the early Edo period, and became a monk at the age of 23. The age of 32, he made a long-cherished desire to create 120,000 statues, and traveled from Hokkaido to Kansai. He died at the age of 64 in 1695.

Oyama Renge

Around Misen and Hakkyogatake

  • Flowering time: Late June to mid-July
Oyama Renge, a kind of magnolia, is a flower that represents the Omine Mountains located in the center of Yoshino Kumano National Park.

Oyama is the meaning of “Omine”, and this name was given because it bloomed an aromatic flower reminiscent of the god “Benzai Tenyo” who dances in Sacred Valley of Misen.

In 1895 (Meiji 28), Dr. Mitsutaro Shirai, who surveyed the plants of the Yoshino Gunzan, discovered a colony of Oyama Renge for several hundreds of meters in the vicinity of Mt.Syaka and Yoji ga syuku. In 1928, it was designated as a national natural monument, and its designated site was the surrounding area of “Misen and Hakkyogadake”.


About 70 minutes by car

Kobo Daishi Kukai became a monk at the age of 20, and at the age of 31, he went to Cgina the Tang Empire in 1984. In Changan, the capital of the Tang Empire, he received the teachings of the Shingon Esoteric Buddhism from the high priest named “Keika Ajari”, and gained the title of “Ajari Henjo Kongo” as the 8th generation. Daido's first year (806) returned to Japan and spread Shingon Esoteric Buddhism throughout the country. In his later years, he received the “Mt. Koya” from Emperor Saga, and in 816, he began to construct the temple on the mountain with various disciples and a number of craftsmen. This is said to be the beginning of “Koyasan Kongobu-ji Temple”.

Twenty years later, Kukai went into the cave in order to become a mummificated Buddha on the 21st of March, 835. Later, the foundation of the Buddhist sacred place was laid, centered by the disciple Shinnen (Datoku). At present, Mt. Koya has 117 temples, including the main temple, Kongobu-ji Temple, centered on the temples of Danjyo Garan and Okunoin, forming a mysterious sacred place.


About 60 minutes by car

Yoshinoyama has long been known as a flower spot. The cherry blossoms are especially famous, and once the Sengoku period conqueror Hideyoshi Toyotomi came to viewing, and it is still crowded with tourists in the cherry blossom season. Cherry blossom spots are called “Shimosenbon”, “Nakasenbon”, “Kamisenbon”, “Okusenbon” in each district. The After the spring cherry blossoms are over, hydrangea blooms in the summer, and the mountains surrounded by fresh greenery are also ideal as a forest bathing spot, and more and more people are visiting in recent years. In autumn, the mountains are dyed red and you can enjoy hiking as you go around the temples and shrines. And in winter, you can feel the majestic atmosphere of the sights and historic sites in the white snow scene.


About 60 minutes by car

Asuka Village is a “Roofless Museum” where you can feel the history and culture of the Asuka period, which is 1,400 years ago, in all spaces such as mountains, rivers and countryside. It is the birthplace of the Japanese nation, and is known for its excavation of numerous ruins such as ancient tombs, palaces, temples, and gardens from the Asuka era.

Asuka Village is the only place in Japan where the entire village is subject to the preservation of the historical climate under the “Ancient capital Preservation Law” and the “Asuka Village Special Measures Law”. There is also a specific plan for registering a World Heritage site for the entire village.

名称 内容 住所 電話
Pilgrim inn Igashira In front of the Tenkawa Shrine,100 years of architecture 46 Tubonouchi phone 0747-63-0017
Minami Hiura Kazoku Ryokoumura Autocamp&Bungalow 396-3 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0007
名称 内容 営業時間 住所 電話
Imanishi store Udon, Soba, Special Tenkawa Soba Roll,Omusubi, Food, liquor, medicine, miscellaneous goods 8:00-19:30, Closed on Sunday 158-7 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0502
Oh! Tree Meals and home roasted coffee 10:30-17:00, closed on Tuesdays and Fridays, reservation only at night 240-1 Tubonouchi 090-4949-4124
organic cafe NAYA café ── In front of the Tenkawa ShrineTrii gate ──
Restaurant Kosuke rice bowl,noodles, set meals, a la cart 18:00-21:00, Closed on Sunday 508 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0560
Gozu Ramen, Japanese, Western, Chinese 11:30-19:30, Irregular holidays 69-3 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0146
Biwa Homemade "Konnyaku" 8:00–18:00, Irregular holidays 17 Goshiki phone 0747-63-0745
Small store of pilgrim road Yottette wormwood mochi&fried rice cracker 9:00–17:00, Irregular holidays 55-2 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0151
名称 内容 営業時間 住所 電話
Okuda Sekiyu Gasoline / LP gas Closed on Sunday 168 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0056
Okuda Ya Rice, hardware, building materials, miscellaneous goods 7:30–19:00, Closed on Sunday 88-1 Minami Hiura phone 0747-63-0543
Tenkawa aroma Soma Essential oil ── 207 Minami Hiura phone 0747-68-9052
LASTGEAR TENKAWA High-performance, professional use and useful stylish gear. ── 25 Tubonouchi phone 0747-63-0303
名称 内容 営業時間 住所 電話
天川村国民健康保険直営診療所 診療所 ── 200 MInami Hiura phone 0747-63-0355